Delicious and creamy, this vegetarian and gluten-free Mushroom Polenta Lasagna from Marcia Selden Catering can be made in under an hour! Additionally it can be made vegan by substituting soy cheese for the cheeses in the recipe.
If you really want to save time, purchase pre-made polenta rolls and grocery store grilled vegetables, and you’ll have this dish ready in no time!
This vegetable packed lasagna is a super gluten-free option for those steering clear of pasta.
This recipe is dairy. Sub in vegan cheeses to convert this to a dairy-free (pareve) and vegan one dish wonder.
Thank you, Marcia Selden Catering, for this recipe.
- 4 C. water or vegetable stock
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1¼ C. quick cooking polenta
- 1 C. grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 C. baby spinach
- Kosher salt and ground black pepper
- 1 large eggplant, small dice
- 1 large red bell pepper, small dice
- 2 C. mushrooms, small dice
- 1 C. diced onion, small dice
- 1 C. diced zucchini, small dice
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbs. chopped fresh basil
- 2 Tbs. dried oregano
- 2 C. grated mozzarella or mozzarella-style soy cheese
- 1 C. goat cheese (optional)
- 3 C. marinara sauce
- 1 C. grated Parmesan or Parmesan-style soy cheese
- In large saucepan, bring water and olive oil to a boil over medium-high heat. Gradually whisk in polenta. Stir with whisk, and cook until polenta is thick, about 5 minutes.
- Add spinach and grated Parmesan cheese, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Pour polenta into two 8×8-inch baking pans until 3/4-inch thick. (You will need two layers of polenta.) Alternatively, pour polenta into 1 large pan and, when cool, cut polenta into two layers to fit size of 8×12-inch lasagna pan.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour or until firm.
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Toss diced vegetables in olive oil, garlic, basil and oregano.
- Add a good pinch of Kosher salt and pepper, and arrange on a baking sheet in a single layer.
- Roast for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from the pan and set aside. If using goat cheese, stir into vegetables.
- Unmold polenta, taking care not to break. If using two 8×8-inch pans, cut the pieces so they fit in 8×12-inch lasagna pan. Reserve single piece of polenta for top layer.
- Reduce heat to 350°F.
- Spread 1 C. marinara sauce in bottom of lasagna pan.
- Top with a layer of polenta, then add a layer of roasted vegetables, cover with a sprinkling of mozzarella cheese.
- Add another layer of polenta, remaining marinara sauce, mozzarella cheese, and top with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until cheese is bubbling and golden brown.