The Lazy Persons Guide to Pool Snacks
You say you’re having a pool party? When it’s hazy, hot and humid—you know it’s the “dog days of summer”. The only logical activity is splashing around in a pool! You’re going to need some snacks! So we have some ideas to make that won’t heat up your kitchen.
The best pool snacks are cold, light and summery, easy to prepare, and great for grazing. Trail mix, Veggies, Salsa, Chips & Dips, Fruit Skewers, and Pasta Salad are all great. For something sweet—you can make your own popsicles! They’re so easy you’ll be amazed and even more delighted at how quickly they disappear. Yum!
Summer Pasta Salad
- 1 lb Dry Pasta (we like Farfalle or Rotini)
- 1 Small Yellow Bell Pepper, seeds removed and diced
- 1 Small Orange Bell Pepper, seeds removed and diced
- 1 Small Red Bell Pepper, seeds removed and diced
- 1 large Seedless Cucumber, chopped
- 1 (12oz) Jar Artichoke Hearts in water, drained and chopped
- 1 Pint Grape Tomatoes, halved
- 1 C. Balsamic Dressing (use your favorite)
- 1 C. Crumbled Feta Cheese
- 1/3 C. Finely Chopped Basil
- Salt & Black Pepper, to taste
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Add the pasta and cook until al dente; drain, then rinse with cold water.
- In a large bowl, combine pasta, peppers, cucumber, artichoke hearts, and tomatoes. Pour the balsamic
- dressing over the pasta salad and gently stir to combine. Add the feta cheese and basil and stir again.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Chill until ready to serve.
Easy Blender Salsa
(Make in advance! It’s better the third day!)
- 1-14 oz can Diced Tomatoes
- 1-10 oz can original Rotel (so old school, right?)
- ½ Small Onion, roughly chopped
- 1 Clove Garlic, peeled and smashed
- ½-1 Jalapeno, seeded or not (depends on how spicy you like it)
- 1 tsp Honey
- ½ tsp Salt
- ¼ tsp Ground Cumin
- Medium size Handful of Cilantro, Washed
- Juice of 1 Lime
- Combine all of the ingredients in a food processor or high-speed blender. Pulse briefly until all of the
- ingredients are mixed. Make sure not to over-pulse or you will have more of a puree. Serve with chips or
- freshly cut veggie sticks.
Homemade Lemon Popsicles
- 13 oz Water
- 1 C. Sugar
- 1 tbs Lemon Zest (Zest of Two Lemons)
- 1 C. & 1 tbs Fresh Lemon Juice
- Zest two lemons. Combine sugar, water and lemon zest in a pan and heat over medium heat until sugar
- is dissolved. Continue heating until the mixture boils; turn off heat and allow to cool. We call this simple
- Using a citrus reamer or juicer, extract the juice from the lemons to yield 1 cup and 1 tablespoon.
- Combine lemon juice with cooled sugar/water/zest mixture.
- Run the mixture through a strainer/sieve to remove zest and lemon pulp and seeds.
- Using a cup with a pour spout, fill popsicle molds and about 1/8” from the top. Add popsicle sticks.
Place in freezer upright for six hours and enjoy!